Friday, May 4, 2012

The Force Is Strong With This One


Lady riders- guess what?!  Today is our day!  Ok, it's not really my day just yet because I'm still learning to ride, but it IS a day celebrating women riders.  So to all my lovely biker-chic friends, Happy International Female Ride Day! (not to be confused with international ride female day, which is a whole other "holiday" entirely.)


I don't ride with lipstick on, btw


And if that wasn't enough excitement for you, today is also Star Wars Day!  Now, if only my Princess Leia outfit was made of riding grade fabrics...



Get it?


Speaking of female riders, I recently met an awesome woman named Ann who is about 70 years old and rides just about every day.  And not just to the grocery store.  This gal rides from her home in the Bronx to Niagara Falls and back.  She calls that Sunday. I call that awe-inspiring.


Ann in all her glory. Told you she was awesome.

When I told Ann that I recently got my motorcycle permit and was  learning to ride, her entire face lit up. She proceeded to tell me that when she was younger "only bad girls rode motorcycles."  Because of that stigma, Ann didn't learn to ride until she was 50.  It's hard to believe a woman who literally lives to ride spent the vast majority of her life not riding.  She even offered to ride with me once I get my license.  All because I'm a fellow lady rider.  Well, not quite yet, but I will be...soon.  And it was that concept - the mere idea that I'm even attempting to join her club - that made her smile. You would have thought I just gave her a present.

Come to think of it, perhaps I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment